Tips to Save Gas
With the gas prices these days, everyone’s asking themselves “how can I save money on gas?” The good news is there are many different ways to save money on gas that will really surprise you. By making a few changes to how you do things and keeping a close eye on your car maintenance and other factors, you can save more money on gas than ever before!
How can I save money on gas
Since gas prices fluctuate rapidly and don’t seem to be getting any cheaper, we have had to find other ways to save money on gas/petrol. Car maintenance is the one of the key’s to success when trying to save money. Here are some great tips that will make a huge impact on your wallet.
- Replace the gasoline cap – Yes, I really said it. Not many people think of ever replacing the cap, but it is very important. There are many of us, I won’t mention any names, that still have our original gasoline cap on our cars and they are more than 5 years old. The reason this is so important is because you need to make sure the cap fits properly and is air tight. It’s similar to tightening a cap on the soda pop bottle, so none of the good stuff leaks out. Well the same thing goes for the gasoline cap. So make sure you check your gasoline cap and it is in good condition.
- Change the car oil – Car oil is what keeps the car running in tip top shape, so make sure you get regular oil changes and you use the proper oil for your car’s make and model. Also take into consideration what you use your car for, if you have a long commute to work or leave your car idling for long periods of time, you may want to invest in top quality motor oil.
- Replace the air filter – Check your air filter yourself and take a good look at it. If you see that it is clean you don’t need to replace it. However if you see lots of discoloration, dirt, small twigs and other strange things that shouldn’t be in the filter, change it immediately. Some mechanics may encourage you to change it often, but if you are the type of person who just uses your car to get from point A to point B, you may not need to change it as frequently as you think.
- Check your tire pressure – Make sure your tires are all filled to the proper capacity. This will ensure a smooth ride and won’t put additional wear and tear on your car. Also make sure your tires are in good condition and are not worn out on one side or have dry rot around the tire edges. This can be dangerous (remembering the tyres are the only thing keeping you on the road) and you are encouraged to get new tires to keep yourself, your family and others around you safe.
- Don’t use the air conditioner – I know, this is a difficult one to accept. Especially on those hot summer days when you feel like you are almost about to faint. You know those days that are so hot, you are almost tempted to drink out of your dog’s water bowl. But you don’t of course! Using the air conditioner in your car uses a lot of gas. A good tip is to use the air for a few minutes just to cool off the car so that you feel comfortable, and then turn it off but keep the fan going. Usually this is done easily by just pushing a tiny button. This way you are cool and comfortable and the cold air still gets rotated in the car, but you aren’t using the air conditioner for as long.
Saving money on gas isn’t that complicated
As you can see there are plenty of simple and unique ways we have shown on how to save money on gas. You can save money by making minor adjustments to the way you do things and also keeping a good eye on your car maintenance. If you really want to do some in depth number crunching on how to save money on gas try here. With or without the in depth study these simple tips will soon you will notice your saving on gas getting better every month. This will surely put a smile on your face and a bulge in your wallet.
***Photos thanks to Neilphotography, Blmurch and seanmfreese***