A letter to Myself

by Mike on April 23, 2010

A few weeks ago, Debt Ninja from Punch Debt in the Face wrote a letter to himself 10 years in the future. He invited several other PF bloggers to follow suit. I have intentionally saved mine for today, my birthday, to reflect on the past 10 years and the next 10 years. Here we go…

Dear Kita,

Happy Birthday! It’s 2020 and with the help of the Lord you’ve entered another decade. Don’t worry about being 41, you still look young! Besides…40 is the new 30…haha! Are you still focused? Have you stayed on track? You set some ambitious goals in your 30s…have you remained steadfast?

God Focused Ministry Mindset
Continue to acknowledge the Lord in all your ways and allow Him to direct your paths according to Proverbs 3:5-6. Rather the Equipping the Saints Conference is still going or you’ve shifted to another assignment, remember to keep God first!

Family & Friends
Facebook is probably a thing of the past, but whatever social media trend is hot these days has probably alerted everyone in your circle that its your Birthday. Be sure to thank them for their replies! Hopefully, you’re better at balancing your time by now and are able to do a better job of keeping up with your family and friends. When you get to the bottom of this letter, call at least 3 people you love just to say hi! See, that wasn’t so hard 🙂

Finances
This is probably the most objective area to track. By now, all consumer debt should be long gone. You own your vehicle(s?) outright, you’re student debt is paid off and the only thing you owe on is the mortgage. Good job on those accelerated payments, keep that up and you should be done by the next 10 year letter! Remember the headache of the home buying process? Aren’t you glad you were patient and got the right house at the right time?

Kita, I’ll leave you with these bits of wisdom and encouragement that helped you in 2010:

• Let God do it!
  • Keep “tending your garden”
  • Stay FOCUSed
  • Keep It Moving!

Blessings and Love!
Lakita

1 harvestwages April 30, 2010 at 11:42 am

Oh! i missed your birthday,
Did you celebrate it?
Glad you still put got first in all your doing. And i know he will take you through to 2020.
.-= harvestwages´s last blog ..Four Important Keys to Self-Empowerment =-.

2 PF Journey April 30, 2010 at 12:06 pm

No worries! Yes, I was taken to a play to celebrate. It was a blast!

3 Joseph | kickdebtoff April 27, 2010 at 10:07 pm

This is coming a day late but .. HAPPY BIRTHDAY (belated)
Great ways to set and track longterm goals, I like this. Keep it up Kita!
.-= Joseph | kickdebtoff´s last blog ..There Are More Reasons To Be Thankful =-.

4 PF Journey April 28, 2010 at 9:18 am

Thanks Joseph!

5 Kevin@OutOfYourRut April 26, 2010 at 9:14 am

A future view, how we all need that! That’s true visi0n, thinking about where you’d like to be in 10 years then working back.

The alternative is to live in the moment and concentrating our efforts on getting through today. That seems to be the default choice, but it doesn’t offer much of a future.
.-= Kevin@OutOfYourRut´s last blog ..Why Fuel Economy Still Matters =-.

6 Rekesha Pittman April 23, 2010 at 11:51 pm

This blessed me tremendously! Thanks for staying the course and avoiding unnecessary “strolls.” SURELY!

7 PF Journey April 28, 2010 at 8:54 am

Thanks Rekesha!

You KNOW you my girl and I thank God for our friendship and those little phrases that He’ll give us from year to year!
SURELY!!!!!

8 Cherelle April 23, 2010 at 10:27 am

I just wanted to say that I enjoy reading your blog and I find a lot of encouragement from your posts. I happened up on it a few weeks ago and learned that you were a native of Buffalo and I’ve been following ever since.

Also Happy Birthday to you (you share it with my mother)!

9 PF Journey April 23, 2010 at 10:38 am

Hello fellow Buffaloian!

Someone else that understands the perils of “lake effect snow” 🙂

10 LJ2Blessed April 23, 2010 at 10:23 am

Happy birthday Kita! This is a really nice idea, I think I’d like to do this myself.

Have a blessed day AND enjoy the next ten years!
.-= LJ2Blessed´s last blog ..Of Groceries and Angels and Coupons… =-.

11 PF Journey April 23, 2010 at 10:37 am

If you do, and decide to share it, please share the link. That goes for everyone!

The idea was originally from Punch Debt in the Face, so be sure to go read his letter as well!

12 Kembala April 23, 2010 at 9:45 am

Happy Birthday Lakita! Thanks for sharing your 10 years into the future letter with us. I’m sure with your drive and determination that you will accomplish all that you set out to do. After all, EPH 3:20 says “Now unto him that is able to do exceeding abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that worketh in us”.

I’m so glad that I came across you personal finance blog. I wish you continued success.

13 PF Journey April 23, 2010 at 10:36 am

Thanks Kembala,

I just added your blog to my reader! Thanks for stopping by! Eph 3:20 is one of my favorite scriptures, so thank you for that extra encouragement!